Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information is any data that can be used to identify or contact a single person.
Here are some examples of the types of personal information Instructor Software may collect and how we may use it:
What personal information we collect
- Apple do not provide us with any information about who has purchased our apps from the App Store, so as an example, if you do not register for our email updates, without your email address, we may be unable to keep you up to date with important announcements.
- When you register yourself or your instructors on our app, purchase products, purchase our subscription services, subscribe to free email updates, register for training events, sync content to our servers, contact us or participate in an online survey, we may collect a variety of information, including names, mailing address, phone number, email address, contact preferences, business name & logo, syllabus information and credit card information.
- When you add pupils, Instructor Software may collect the information you provide about them such as name, mailing address, email address, phone number, preferences, pupil progress and notes. Instructor Software will use such information to enable the features of the PassRight app, pupil web portal and any other offered apps relevant to our products or services.
How we use your personal information
- The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on Instructor Software’s latest feature announcements, software updates, and upcoming events. If you don’t want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by updating your preferences.
- We also use personal information to help us create, develop, operate, deliver, and improve our products, services, content and advertising, and for loss prevention and anti-fraud purposes. We may also use your personal information for account and network security purposes, including in order to protect our services for the benefit of all our users. Where we use your information for anti-fraud purposes it arises from the conduct of an online transaction with us. We limit our uses of data for anti-fraud purposes to those which are strictly necessary and within our assessed legitimate interests to protect our customers and our services.
- We may use your personal information, including date of birth, to verify identity, assist with identification of users, and to determine appropriate services. For example, we may use date of birth to determine the age, and hence legal status, of pupils.
- Rarely, we may need to use your personal information to send important notices, such as communications about purchases and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with Instructor Software, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may also use personal information for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our products, services, and customer communications.
- If you enter into any contest, or similar promotion we may use the information you provide to administer those programs.
- With your explicit consent we may publish your data, such as name, contact details and chosen area of work, in order to allow you to market your services to potential pupils in your local area.
- With your explicit consent we may forward your contact details and other specifically requested information in order for you to obtain products or services from carefully selected partners, such as motor insurance companies.
Source of your personal information where they are not collected from you
We may have received your personal information from other persons (such as your driving instructor) if that person has added you to their Driving Instructor app as a pupil, or invited you to participate in an event.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect data in a form that does not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are some examples of non-personal information that we collect and how we may use it:
- We may collect information such as occupation, language, post code, area code, referrer URL, location, and time zone so that we can better understand customer behaviour and improve our products, services, and advertising.
- We may collect and store details of how you use our services, including feature use and search queries. Search information may be used to improve the relevancy of results provided by our services. Such information will not be associated with your IP address.
- With your explicit consent, we may use data collected by Apple about how you use your device and our applications in order to help improve our apps.
If we do combine non-personal information with personal information the combined information will be treated as personal information for as long as it remains combined.
Cookies and Other Technologies
Some Instructor Software websites, online services, interactive applications, email messages, and advertisements may use “cookies” and other technologies to help us better understand user behaviour, tell us which parts of our websites people have visited, and facilitate and measure the effectiveness of advertisements and web searches. We treat information collected by cookies and other technologies as non‑personal information.
Our goal is to make your experience with Instructor Software more convenient and personal. For example, knowing your first name lets us greet you in an email. Knowing your locality, language and driving school helps us provide a customised and more useful experience, such as invitations to relevant local events.
In some of our email messages, we use a “click-through URL” linked to content on our website. When customers click one of these URLs, they pass through a separate web server before arriving at the destination page on our website. We track this click-through data to help us determine interest in particular topics and measure the effectiveness of our customer communications. Click-through data may also be used to calculate referral fees paid to us from suppliers to whom we may forward potential customers. If you prefer not to be tracked in this way, you should not click text or graphic links in the email messages.
Pixel tags enable us to send email messages in a format customers can read, and they tell us whether mail has been opened. We may use this information to reduce or eliminate messages sent to customers.
Disclosure to Third Parties
At times Instructor Software may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that work with us to provide our products and services, or that help us market to customers. Personal information will only be shared by us to provide or improve our own products, services and advertising; it will not be shared with third parties for their marketing purposes.
Instructor Software shares personal information with companies who provide services such as information processing, mailing list management, fulfilling customer orders, delivering products to you, managing payments and conducting customer research or satisfaction surveys. These companies are obligated to protect your information to the same standards that Instructor Software uses.
It may be necessary, by law, legal process, litigation, and/or requests from public and governmental authorities within or outside your country of residence, for Instructor Software to disclose your personal information. We may also disclose information about you if we determine that for purposes of national security or law enforcement that disclosure is necessary or appropriate.
Additionally, in the event of a reorganisation, merger, or sale we may transfer any and all personal information we collect to the relevant third party.
Protection of Personal Information
Instructor Software takes the security of your personal information very seriously. Our online services use secure transfer protocols to ensure your data is protected.
If you use our applications to post on any public forum, chat room, or social networking service, the personal information and content you share is visible to other users and can be read, collected, or used by them. You are responsible for the personal information you choose to share or submit in these instances. For example, if you list your name and email address in a forum posting, that information is public. Please take care when using these features.
If you or anyone else using Apple’s Family Sharing logs on to a device that is owned by a third party, any information shared within your Family—including calendar, location, photos, and iTunes purchases—may be downloaded on to that third-party device thereby disclosing any such shared information. Visit Apple’s Family Sharing site for more information.
Integrity and Retention of Personal Information
Access to Personal Information
You can help ensure that your contact information and preferences are accurate, complete, and up to date by using the Settings area within the applications. For other personal information we hold, we will provide you with access (including a copy) for any purpose, including to request that we correct the data if it is inaccurate or delete the data if Instructor Software is not required to retain it by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may decline to process requests that are frivolous/vexatious, jeopardize the privacy of others, are extremely impractical, or for which access is not otherwise required by local law. We may also decline aspects of deletion or access requests if we believe doing so would undermine our legitimate use of data for anti-fraud and security purposes as described earlier. Requests may be made directly in writing to Instructor Software Ltd’s Registered Office, below.
Children & Education
We understand the importance of taking extra precautions to protect the privacy and safety of children using our applications and services. If at any time a parent or legal guardian needs to access, correct, or delete data associated with their child’s account, they may contact us directly in writing to Instructor Software Ltd’s Registered Office, below.
To provide location-based services in our applications, Instructor Software, Apple and their partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. Where available, location-based services may use GPS, Bluetooth, and your IP Address, along with crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspot and cell tower locations, and other technologies to determine your devices’ approximate location. Unless you provide consent, this location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and their partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, your device may share its geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.
If you choose to use the Location feature when adding new aerial photos to your Lessons diagrams, you may need to explicitly provide your consent (if not already done so) for Apple or Google to use your location data to provide the correct maps for your location.
Our Commitment to Your Privacy
To make sure your personal information is secure, we communicate our privacy and security guidelines to our employees and partners, such as software development companies, and strictly enforce privacy safeguards within the company.
Instructor Software Limited
Registered Office: 53 Gobions Avenue, Romford, Essex, RM5 3SS, United Kingdom